Pages

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Book Review: Best Friends Forever

One of the best things about not being in college anymore is that I can read whatever I like, whenever I like.  I loved being an English major, reading great works of literature and discussing them, but sometimes nothing is better than a break from some heavy reading material.


Usually I saved my summers for some serious reading, well I guess its only serious if you count Harry Potter and chick lit serious.  


Once you get into chick lit, it doesn't take long to realize that Jennifer Weiner is considered one of the giants of chick lit.  And for good reason too.


I had previously loved her novels like In Her Shoes and Certain Girls.  So I knew I was in for a treat when I picked up one of her newer novels, Best Friends Forever.  Cheesy title aside, this was a really good read.


One of the things I love about Weiner's writing is that it is both realistic and enthralling.  She creates characters that are familiar but still captivating.  Maybe its because I feel like I know these women that I feel so compelled to read their story.


I knew I was going to like this particular book from when I opened the cover.  The dedication of the book was a Bruce Springsteen quote.  It was win win.


This book was about two childhood best friends who grew apart after something awful happened in high school.  At their 15 year high school reunion, life circumstances throw them back together.  


One of the other things I love about Weiner's writing is that yes its chick lit, but it has a serious side.  Like in her other books she deals with heavy and important themes, including but not limited to self-discovery, loneliness, and the value of friendship.


So if you're looking for a lite-ish book to read on a rainy afternoon or on a sunny day at the beach, pick this one up - it will entertain you - it will make you laugh and parts of it will make you want to cry.  It will lift you up and make you thankful for the forever friends that are a part of your life.

No comments: