Pages

Sunday, September 26, 2010

Marathon

Once upon a cold day in March I decided that I was going to start this blog as a way to help me with my ever-ongoing struggle to lose weight.  Fast forward 6 months and its downward spiraled into a chaotic mess that resembles my sleep-deprived, time crunched, overly stressed, exceptionally over caffeinated, law school absorbed, tv addicted existence.  So my b...


I don't really want this to revert back to something that focuses on what I'm eating, what I'm not eating, how many calories I've burned, how many ounces I'm up or down on any given day. Its not fun.  Plus it doesn't let me be a complete spasoid on the internet.  


But I have been doing a lot of thinking lately.  Everywhere I  look I hear all of these similies about how this or that is like a marathon.  Losing weight is a marathon, law school is like a marathon, etc.  And I think its ironic that I've signed up for my first half marathon (which is like a marathon, except it's half...) while I'm doing all of these other "like a marathon" things.  Its especially poignant because I'm unofficially starting my half marathon training today.


School is really time consuming.  Especially lately.  I have my first "memo" due on Tuesday and its more than a little consumed every spare second of my life for the past month.  Running, exercising, eating right, getting a good night's sleep, and avoiding stress eating have all taken a backseat to the nine page baby I've spent countless hours pouring over and over and over.  


But that needs to change and it's changing today.  Last week I couldn't sleep.  Like at all.  I think I got about 15 hours combined from Sunday through Wednesday.  That is way not enough for me.  I need 15 hours in 2 days, not 4.  One of my classmates said its probably because I wasn't exercising, which is probably true.  But I didn't have time to fit the gym in either.  But I know I have to make the time to get it all in.  


I'm a calmer, saner, more at peace individual if I can work out my stress by pounding the pavement.  I sleep better when I put all of my extra nervous energy into my runs or my spin classes or whatever else.  My brain works better when I give it thirty minutes or an hour to think about non-school things, even if I think about nothing at all except putting one foot in front of the other.  


On a much sadder note, I faced the music and bought a bathroom scale rather than just using the one at my gym, which I don't think is 100% accurate.  I was up a few pounds, four to be exact.  While I've had some extra life stuff going on lately (namely company in from out of town = more drinking and out to dinner more than usual), I was NOT happy to see the scale slowly but surely rising.  


And company's not an excuse to forget EVERYTHING I've EVER learned about losing weight.  Its no reason to eat when I'm not hungry just because I'm craving chocolate.  And eating not chocolate when you're craving chocolate isn't cool either.  And its way less cool when it happens at 1 AM.  


So here I am.  Starting over or at least picking up from where I left off.  Its back to basics for this girl.  Well basics and half marathon training.  Today's run: 3 miles through downtown Charleston.  Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi my name is Meredith and I am a cheese ball addict.