Pages

Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Shakin' What My Mama Gave Me

Tonight I tried something new - Zumba! I went with my friend Ginny, who is my BFF Meredith's older sister. Zumba is an aerobic exercise inspired by Latin dance. Think salsa/mambo/rumba combined with squats, lunges, and arm toning exercises

Getting into the class was super intense. Apparently the teacher on Tuesday nights is one of the best around, so they hold the class in the gym at the YMCA which holds between 60 and 70 people. But she's better than that - not only is the class held in the biggest room available, you also have to call to reserve a spot the day before. When I called yesterday at approximately 7:10 AM, I was number 23 to save a spot. CRA-ZEE!

Then when you get to the Y, they give you a token that shows that you did, in fact, call in to reserve a spot. Right before class starts someone walks around and collects them all. Apparently if you don't have a token, they give you the boot.

Then the music started. My hips started swinging. I tried to keep up but I'm pretty sure I utterly failed, but I had fun. The hour went by really, really fast. And I had a smile on my face for most of the class. I'm sure I looked like a fool, but at least I looked like a fool having the time of my life.

I might not go every week, but I'll definitely be back. I'm all for anything that will make my booty smaller as I shake it!

No comments: