Pages

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Confession Time

I've been lying to you, my dear blog readers, and I just can't take it anymore! There's something about me that I think I've been hiding, but no more!

I'm an addict. A TV-aholic, actually. But I'm not a casual TV watcher. I pride myself in saying that my tastes are more, ummmmmm, refined.....


Ever since the first season of Survivor was over, reality TV has lost its charm for me. I can't stand the fact that for a lot of them, you don't even need to watch the show to know what's going on. For instance, I have never seen an entire episode of the show that I hate more than anything else on TV (including the O'Reilley Factor), American Idol, I bet that I could name most of the "Idols." Why watch if its going to be all over the news? I'll just catch the news where not only will I get my Idol updates, but also actual real news so I can actually be an informed and intellectual member of society (although I do enjoy watching America's Next Top Model, I mean how dumb is Tyra Banks).

I like drama shows much better than any reality TV. For one, I never feel like I'm more stupid after sitting down for an episode of CSI (well except maybe CSI: Miami). I used to be head over heels in love with Grey's Anatomy - my love affair with the show ended as a result of the writers strike back in 2008, it was like a 12 step program for my obsession with a Dr. McDreamy (coincidentally, the writers' strike only strengthened my love affair with certain sitcoms starring Bea Arthur and Betty White...)



My biggest problem with drama on TV is that it comes in one of two forms: soaps or crime/police/CSI/someone died shows. I actually really like night time soaps a la Grey's and (once upon a time ago) Lost. But its insanely hard to catch up if you miss an ep, which happens, especially right now, so they're not happening in my life right now. And the crime/police/CIS/someone died variety scare me and creep me out. I saw one episode of Criminal Minds, just one time, I was so freaking freaked out because it was something right out of my WORST NIGHTMARES - someone hiding in my closet before they attack and kill me. Yikes.

But sitcoms, they're perfect. I love them. They make my soul happy. Sitcoms are so neat and tidy - a (typically) minor conflict is presented, dealt with, and resolved - all in a half hour! And, its funny! Just what I need at the end of the day!

My addiction started early. See, my parents are TV-aholics too. (Maybe its genetic...I can just picture my ancestors watching Little House on the Prairie in their little house on the prairie) Growing up, I remember that a lot of school nights were also TV show nights. Tuesday was Roseanne, Thursday was Seinfeld, yadda yadda yadda (I know, I'm so clever it hurts).

A healthy dose of Friends,Will & Grace, and many other shows of the late 90's early 00's have helped shape my current TV viewing trends. Now How I Met Your Mother, Modern Family, The Office, and 30 Rock keep me laughing.

In case you have no idea what I'm talking about:

How I Met Your Mother (Mondays, CBS, 8:00) - Main character Ted Mosby is telling his children in the year 2030 the story of how he met their mother (now its a 5 season long story). A combination of Friends and Seinfeld, this show is funny, I love how it "rewards" long time watchers by bringing up old jokes, yet is still hilarious for first time viewers! Neil Patrick Harris is the scene stealer as the sometimes gross but always funny Barney Stinson (Really, he's legen-wait for it- dary).



Modern Family (Wednesdays, ABC, 9:00) - Its documentary-esque story about a modern family. I can't even begin to describe how much I love this show. Each character is so weird and wacky in a way that is totally realistic. Its about patriarch Jay and his two kids (Claire and Mitchell) and each of their own families. Jay's remarried and has a stepson, Claire has three kids and a certifiably insane husband, and Mitchell and his partner just adopted a baby from Vietnam. What I love most about this show is the fact that they all love each other. A lot. Thick and thin, no matter what, they're there for each other in a way that is so heartwarming and endearing.



The Office (Thursday, NBC, 9:00) - The premise of the show is this: Steve Carrell's Michael Scott is the regional manager of a mid-level paper company. He is also a moron. Hilarity ensues. Also enjoyable is the love story between Jim and Pam and the completely off-beat personalities like Andy Bernard and Dwight Shrute, who remind you just a little too much about your own co-workers.



30 Rock (Thursday, NBC, 9:30) - With The Office, 30 Rock helps make up NBC's "must see TV" Thursday night lineup (the other two shows Community and Parks and Recreation are also hilarious and which I also highly recommend).



Just thinking about these shows makes me smile.

Some might see my family's addiction to sitcoms as a negative thing, but I think its a good thing. It makes us red-blooded Americans. They make us laugh and they make us happy, which really can't be such a bad thing, can it?

I hope you take my recommendations to heart....I really don't think you'll be disappointed. Plus all of that extra laughing is a great core work-out (although it might help speed up the onset of the laugh lines).

Well, I better run, Modern Family is going to be on in a few minutes. Tune in!

No comments: