Pages

Monday, June 21, 2010

O.M.Ginger!

Last week my lovely BFF and her Hubby adopted a cute little puppy.  I wanted to blog about her and I realized that I haven't even blogged about MY OWN cute little puppy.  So before I go off singing the praises of a little Miss Elliot, I think I need to sing the praises of a certain Miss Ginger.

I know I've already written about my sometimes sweet, sometimes Satanic kitty, Annabelle.  In case you missed it, you can catch up here.

After having to put my childhood cat to sleep, my brother reminded my mom of a promise she had made a long, long time ago.  "You promised we could get a dog after we had to put Vixey to sleep."  My brother even had a name already picked out - Ginger, after Ginger Baker, a drummer in some band that he liked.


So the search began.  I was away at school while my parents and brother traveled to animal shelters far and wide looking for a puppy.  After weeks of searching, one day they stumbled upon the Hope for Life Rescue Shelter in Virginia Beach where they had seen an ad for a litter of puppies.


By the time they got there, all of the puppies had been adopted.  "But the mother is still available for adoption."  So my parents went in to meet her.  Between my mom and Ginger, it was love at first sight.  At a year and a half, she was past the teething and housebreaking stages that my mom was dreading.  Even though she'd already had a litter of puppies (while battling heart worm) she was just a young thing herself.  


Every Sunday, my parents would drive 20 miles there and 20 miles back just to visit her until her puppies were weaned and her heart worm treated.  We finally brought her home at the end of June, four years ago.  


She has completely changed our lives.  

As a side note, my grandfather (and one of the biggest dog lovers I've ever known) passed away very unexpectedly on October 15, 2004.  Ginger was born two weeks later on Halloween.  Her puppies, born on my grandfather's birthday, March 23.  I am fairly convinced that he picked her out and sent her to us.


Ginger is sweet and kind and loving.  She adores being around people and is constantly happy.  Most of the time she walks around with a big doggie grin on her face.  She was mistreated for the first year and a half of her life, and is so appreciative of the unconditional love that she's found in our house.

She's a mutt, but a super cute one.  When people ask my mom what kind of a mix she is she tells them that she's a perfect mix.  Cute and happy with the sweetest disposition, I'm kind of afraid that Ginger's ruined me for any other dog.


Here is one of my favorite pictures of Ginger:






Her likes include:


Going on car rides (she's happy she's going for a car ride, but not happy I'm taking her picture, please see dislikes).



Running.



And going for walks.




Her dislikes include:


Having her picture taken.



Being held and forced to have her picture taken.



Thunderstorms/loud noises (sorry no picture).


Before we had Ginger, I didn't even realize that I liked dogs (I was kind of like Chandler on Friends, but I wasn't afraid of them.  Unless they were big.  Or tried to lick my face).


Now she's my buddy.  I could go on and on, but I won't.  But I'll probably put some more pictures up of her.  


Can you be BFF with a dog?  I think so...

No comments: