Pages

Friday, May 21, 2010

Weekly Weigh In

I've been skipping this post for the past few weeks.

When I went away to Charleston I gained two pounds and I was kind of disappointed in myself and I was kind of embarrassed to .  I had had a great plan to surviving the trip, but I found myself straying from it while I was away.  In hindsight, I realized that 2 pounds is the least I've ever gained after being away for a few days.   

After a few more weeks of hovering around the same number, I climbed on the scale last week.  I was down THREE POUNDS!!!!!  I never lose three pounds!  I was ecstatic!  That brought me to 21 total pounds lost - right where I had been before I started letting the weight creep back on, before I used my last semester of college as an excuse to celebrate every day with anything I wanted to eat.  I was thrilled!

After my stunning success, I was pretty sure I was either going to gain or maintain last night at weigh in.  I mean, three pounds in one week is a lot at this point in the game.  I've gone three months and not lost three pounds (no, I'm not kidding).  I expected the gain and prepared for it.  I made my peace with my impending gain: I knew I had done a good job following Weight Watchers food-wise and I was getting in tons of exercise, but still, our bodies sometimes have to take a minute after a big loss to catch its breath.


I headed to weigh in last night not expecting anything.  I stepped into the social hall of the church where my meeting is held and stripped down to my athletic shorts and a tank top.  Off came my flip flops as is my pre-weigh-in routine.  I stepped on the scale and waited for Susan, my sweet Weight Watchers receptionist, to quickly and quietly say "Well, you're up just a little bit this week, is everything ok?"  


Instead I stepped on the scale, braced myself, and stood in disbelief as Susan looked up at me and nodded with a smile on her face as she said, "Looks like somebody had a great week!"  I was down another 1.6! I've had plenty of unexpected gains, but never and unexpected loss!!!


I'm now down 22.6 pounds!!!!  


For the first time in a long time, I'm actually pretty happy with my "weight loss journey," as we like to call it in the biz.  I'm exercising a lot which I like for a few reasons - mostly because it makes me feel good and more confident, but I also really like how if I work out I have a little (and I mean just a little) wiggle room in what I eat.  Like its ok that I had a margarita last week instead of a lite beer when I went out for dinner, I knew I'd burn those extra calories off spinning the next day.  

And having a margarita once in a while makes me very, very happy!

No comments: