Pages

Thursday, June 2, 2011

Summer Reading

One of my very, very favorite parts of summer is that I have TONS of free time that I can direct to one of my more favorite pastimes, reading.  


I actually got a little bit of an early jump on the summer reading this year.  After our momentous appellate brief was due, I decided that I deserved a few days to read a non-serious, non-legal book.  My choice?  Good in Bed by Jennifer Weiner.


Before I dive into the book review, can I just say how much I love Jennifer Weiner?  I'm not a crazy, huge fan of chick lit.  I usually lose my patience with the flimsy, self-absorbed "heroines" that are only trying to find "THE guy."  But Jennifer Weiner's not like that.  It's still chick lit.  But her characters are more developed.  They're real women.  They have real problems and deal with loneliness, heartbreak, and real self-doubt.  I usually feel like I know the women in Jennifer Weiner's novels.  Hell, sometimes I feel like I am one of the characters in her novels.


Enter Good in Bed.  It's about twenty-something Cannie Shapiro, a Philadelphia based journalist who's experienced moderate success in her job.  She struggles with her weight and has some serious family issues.  Cannie recently broke up with a long-term boyfriend Bruce and desperately wants him back.  Until he publishes an article entitled "Loving a Larger Woman" in a nationally syndicated magazine.  


This book takes Cannie from Philadelphia to New York and out to Los Angeles.  She grows and changes and finds herself.  I don't want to give too much away but I will say that it was a good read and I'd highly recommend it.  Once you're done with it, I'd also recommend reading the second novel about Cannie (Certain Girls) which I had read several years ago without knowing that it was a sequel to Good in Bed.


Be on the look-out for more book reviews!  Happy reading!!!


WHAT'S ON YOUR SUMMER READING LIST???

No comments: