Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Chicken Spaghetti

This week for dinner I mad Pioneer Woman's Chicken Spaghetti (you can find the recipe with pictures here).


But I lightened it up.  First I only used boneless, skinless chicken breast.  Second I used lightened ingredients: 2% cheddar cheese, 98% fat free cream of mushroom soup, whole wheat pasta.  Third I cut down the amount of cheese.  Fourth, and not really a lightener, but I didn't use pimentos but that was because I couldn't find them in the store.


In all honesty, the first night I was not impressed with this dish.  It was eh.  I had had a little cayenne pepper/cinnamon incident while cooking (as in I added a bunch of cinnamon, not cayenne pepper - GROSS, I know - on accident.  I scooped it all out but I just couldn't shake that from my mind).  


But the second night.  And the third.  That's where the money was.  Again for a couple of reasons.  First all of the stuff had time to sit.  Second, I added a bunch of Frank's hot sauce to it before I zapped it in the microwave.  Best improvement ever.


I'll probably make this dish again, but I'll add the hot sauce from the get go.  Also, I'll probably top the casserole with a cheese/breadcrumb mixture so its nice and crunchy and gooey.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hehehe, cinnamon! :o) Sounds good though! Nice job lightening the recipe!! I try to do that too ... then again I never actually follow the recipe so who knows if I do a good job lightening it.