Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

New York State of Mind

For just about my entire life, I've wanted to live in New York City.  Not for long.  Just a year, maybe two.  When I was in my teens I romanticized meeting a celebrity in the market, running in Central Park, drinking coffee in Central Perk, heading to the Bronx to catch a Yankees game or to the Broadway to see the latest Tony award winner.


When I decided to go to law school, this was one dream I realized I may never experience.  Since attorneys take the bar in the states where they want to practice and because comity laws can be restrictive and hard to navigate around, I came to the realization that I may never live in the Big Apple, but I was ok with it.  Not long after starting law school, I came to the realization that South Carolina is not where I want to settle down but that the Virginia bar would be much better suited for my future career goals.  Then the lights of D.C. were motivating me.  The museums!  The history!  The politics!  And I was ok with it.


Until tonight.  And New York State of Mind (a la Billy Joel) played on my iTunes.  For some reason, that song makes me feel like the city is speaking to ME!  And all over again, I'm head over heels in love with my romanticized notions of NYC.  


I think I have to remove it from my iTunes.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I vote Virginia or at least where-ever I happen to be. I'm just sayin'. Selfish. I know.