Pages

Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Beware the Ides of March

Because its my birthday!  And for all of you who know me, you know that I'm someone to be afraid of 


There is this wonderful saying "a birthday is just the beginning of another 365 day around trip around the sun."  Today I turned 24 and I'm excited for the next 364 days.  Before I continue, let me just say that 23 was a FANTASTIC year.  It was a momentous year.  I decided to go to law school.  I moved to South Carolina.  I lost about 25 pounds.  I seriously started running.  I became much more comfortable with myself, more confident.  I even started dating-ish again.  It was a good year.


I'm really looking forward to 24.  I don't think that people peak in high school or college (at least I hope they don't) because I like to think that people get better with age- its one of the commonalities people have with wine.


Anyway, I'd like to share a very few pieces of advice I've collected/learned over the past year.


First, when you find that you have friends who treat you a hundred times better than you deserve, you've found your best friend.  For life.  I'm being serious  My very best friend in the whole wide world (MVBFITWWW) Meredith is better to me than I could ever expect or deserve and I love her more than words can ever, ever express (also check out her blog...she's pretty fantastic and quite honestly one of the very best people I know:  http://frugalfinishes.blogspot.com/).




Second, just like the John Lennon song, life really is what happens when your busy making other plans.  Life happens.  Sometimes it happens like you think and sometimes it doesn't.  I honestly believe that it happens the way that it should, that there's a purpose behind everything we do.  Like last year at this time, I never thought I'd now be living in Charleston, SC and enjoying law school more than I could have expected.  But that's what happened and I'm pretty excited for the adventure ahead of me.


Third, while some things change some things still remain the same.  Although I'm now living and writing in new city, experiencing new and different people, places and having new adventures; I am still enjoying the TV show, Friends, more than words can express.  Just goes to show you, the more things change, the more they stay the same.  


Fourth, I am not a morning person.  And I probably never will be.  Hopefully one day I'll be my own boss and have the opportunity to set my own hours (which will be something like 10-2, or 3, I guess I could stand 3 o'clock as quitting time).


Fifth and finally, I can do ANYTHING I set my mind to.  Law school?  Check.  Half marathon?  Check.  Be fantastic?  Double Check.


Okay maybe not so much with the last point, but that's the goal for 24!  Here's to the next 365  day journey!  Twenty-three you were quite an adventure!  I can hardly wait to see what 24 has in store!

No comments: